Can Chatbots Revolutionize Your Customer Service Strategy?
Strategically Deploy Chatbots to Unlock Hidden Revenue & Resources
Unlike brick-and-mortar stores, eCommerce is a 24/7 enterprise. Online businesses can’t afford to leave their customers service channels unattended outside of traditional business hours. Fortunately, technology offer a solution.
What are Chatbots?
Chatbots are a popular new option for eCommerce merchants looking to offer better, more cost-effective, round-the-clock customer service.
A chatbot is designed to streamline interactions between businesses and their customers. They perform basic communication and can serve as the first interaction a customer has with your business. This allows you to focus your attention on more pressing matters and allow the chatbots to collect and report the important points in each interaction. Chatbots are especially valuable at a time when more and more customers are interacting with businesses via messaging apps like Messenger and WhatsApp.
Chatbots benefit both consumers and the businesses that serve them. Customers enjoy quick, efficient service that directs them where they need to be as quickly as possible, while businesses save resources that would otherwise be directed to live service.
How Can This Technology Help My Business?
You’ll find several major advantages to adopting chatbots. This technology enables:
- Streamlining: Addressing all matters with live service would be a waste of human resources. Think of it like a database query; chatbots can answer simple questions with simple answers.
- Responsiveness: No “away” message needed when a chatbot can address basic questions, or at least tell the customer when to expect a reply for more complex issues.
- Education: Customers often have questions when engaging a business’s content. Chatbots can provide live support and give supplementary information in real time.
- Better Data Capture: Each interaction produces invaluable customer data, allowing you to better understand and get to know your customers.
The improved and more efficient service enabled by using chatbots has secondhand benefits as well. For example, better customer service can dramatically reduce the number of chargebacks you experience. But remember: these benefits are only on the table when chatbots are leveraged properly. If deployed improperly, chatbots can be a customer service nightmare.
The Danger of Overreliance
Overreliance on any automated solution is a problem. It can make the company seem cold and distant from the customer’s perspective. Even worse, too much automation can add friction to the customer service process rather than remove it.
The key is to strike a balance between automated and live customer service. This is achievable by:
- Providing live service as many hours a day as possible. Overflow or after-hours answering services are a great option to provide 24-hour live support for when chatbots aren’t enough.
- Answering calls quickly. You should make it a goal to answer all phone calls in three rings or less. Beyond that, customers are much more likely to give up and file a chargeback.
- Ensuring all line are live and manned. It will lead to immediate disengagement if the customer service channels listed on your website are inactive or dead.
If you can strategically deploy chatbots while keeping the above tips in mind, it can do wonders for you business.
Strike the Balance, Unlock the Benefit
Chatbots are a great customer service innovation, but they must be managed and monitored carefully. Otherwise they will lead to more problems than they could ever resolve.
Want to learn more about how to reduce chargebacks by leveraging chatbots effectively? Click here to learn more.